Five Healthy Holiday Eating Tips!
November 30, 2021
‘Tis the season for family, festivity, and food—lots of food!
From November to the New Year, everyone seems to consume more food and drinks during the holiday season, so how do you stick to your healthy eating habits when everyone around you seems to be splurging? Here are five tips that can help:
Holiday-Proof Your Plan
- If you have a sweet treat, cut back on other carbs (like potatoes and bread) during the meal.
- Don’t skip meals to save up for a feast; you are more likely to overeat.
Outsmart the Buffet
- Start with vegetables to take the edge off your appetite.
- Avoid or limit alcohol.
- Choose the dishes you really love and can’t get any other time of year.
- Take a walk after your meals
- Set aside some time in the morning and evening for stretching or yoga
Get Your Zzzzz’s
- Aim for eight hours of sleep per night to guard against mindless eating.
- Take a nap if needed. Overly tired people tend to reach for and eat more and prefer high-fat, high-sugar foods.
Most of all, remember what the season is about—celebrating and connecting with the people you care about. When you focus more on the fun, it’s easier to focus less on the food.