March 20 is Oral Health Day
March 6, 2022
What Can I Do to Maintain Good Oral Health?
Here are some helpful ways to maintain a healthy mouth and strong teeth.
Brush with fluoride toothpaste.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush teeth thoroughly twice a day and floss daily between the teeth to remove dental plaque.
- Visit your dentist at least once a year, even if you have no natural teeth or have dentures.
- Do not use any tobacco products. If you smoke, quit.
- If you have diabetes, work to maintain control of the disease. This will decrease risk for other complications, including gum disease.
- If your medication causes dry mouth, ask your doctor for a different medication. If dry mouth cannot be avoided, drink plenty of water and avoid tobacco products and alcohol.
- See your doctor or dentist if you have sudden changes in taste and smell.
When acting as a caregiver, help older individuals brush and floss their teeth if they are not able to perform these activities independently.